The Official Listing Reads:
"Former theatre, later cinema. 1901-2 by Campbell and Horsley of Manchester. Red brick and terracotta; some render old stock brick to rear; slate roof, Three storeys and attics. Elaborate symmetrical frontage, nine bays wide with broad and elaborate central bay under round terracotta arch with keystone. Piliasters to both sides and three central bays have a distinguished composition with windows in terracotta surrounds to second storey, two oeuils de boeufs above flanked by balustrading. Elaborate moulded and cut brick decoration in pediment, flanked by finials. Simpler short pilasters and keystones to the remaining three bays and these features are continued on the Henry Street elevation. Sash windows in timber frames throughout. Doors under projecting ground-floor canopy blocked. Roof with lantern.
Interior. Substantial intact auditorium of stalls, circle and gallery, supported on cast-iron columns in circle, which also has a plaster ceiling. Large coved ceiling forms central dome over auditorium, with steeply raked gallery continuing behind. Elaborate balcony fronts with plaster swag decoration. Proscenium arch survives, with top cresting, blocked by later inserted cinema screen. Theatrical flies, grid and 13.4m deep raked stage survive behind this.
The Theatre Royal was opened in 1902 as a replacement for an early Theatre Royal nearby in Frank Street. It first showed films in 1914, which were combined with live shows until 1972. Included as a complete Edwardian theatre, its balconies and decorative areas-remain intact, with proscenium arch. The exterior is notable for its lavish terracotta and brick decoration."
(Source: Curtains!!! A New Life for Old Theatres Trust, 1982)
Signed by the authority of the Secretary of State
Department of Culture, Media and Sport
13 April 2000